The Slingbox SOLO connects to your home-theater devices and allows you to watch your standard-definition (SD) or high-definition (HD) TV programs on your computer or mobile phone over the Internet from virtually anywhere in the world.
Starting up the Slingbox Solo
The Slingbox Solo allows you to watch your favorite shows in SD quality over the internet via your desktop, laptop, Mac, or mobile phone from virtually any location.
Getting started only requires a Windows PC or Mac, a high-speed internet connection and a home network router.
Setup & Running the Slingbox Solo
The Slingbox SOLO comes with the unit, an AC adapter (100-240V 50-60Hz), Ethernet cable, Quick Start Guide, Composite AV cable and a remote control IR cable.
Once the Slingbox base station is setup and ready, you’ll need to install viewing software on a Windows or Mac PC. The software setup includes a video-optimization wizard to automatically calibrate the software settings to your PC’s CPU and graphics card. Once running, the video window is similar to a QuickTime or Windows Media Player window with channel-changing controls.
The Slingplayer Solo comes with an electronic program guide to view your TV programming schedule. The player allows you to change channels, pause, rewind and fast-forward. The player can also be setup to work as a DVR with the on-screen virtual remote.
SlingBox Solo Phone Options
Mobile software is also offered for viewing TV programming various phones, such as compatible Windows Mobile, Symbian, or Palm OS mobile phones.
Other compatible phones include the iPhone and BlackBerry models. A separete software download is required.
Minimum PC Requirements
- HD Streaming: Intel 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo class processor or equivalent with 2 GB of RAM.
- Video acceleration support desirable on graphics card.
- SD Streaming: Pentium 4 class or equivalent with 256 MB RAM.
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 with latest updates.
- Browser Support: Internet Explorer Version 7 or higher, Firefox Version 3 or higher.
Minimum Mac Requirements
- HD Streaming: Intel 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo class processor or equivalent with 2 GB of RAM.
- SD Streaming: Intel-based Mac with 2 GB of RAM.
- Operating System: Mac OS 10.5.7 (Leopard) or later.
- Browser Support: Firefox Version 3 or higher, Safari Version 3 or higher.
What devices can you connect?
- Basic Cable TV Set-top Box
- Digital Cable Set-top Box
- DVR such as TiVo, Comcast, ReplayTV, DISH
- DVD Player/Recorder
- HD component input support with resolution up to 1080i (down-converted for streaming)
- Satellite Receiver such as DIRECTV or DISH
- Video/Security Camera
- Apple TV
- Windows Media Center
Video review of Slingbox Solo
Various Slingbox Solo Feedback from Online
The Amazon reviews of this device are fascinating in how some praise it as wondering while several others label it as “the worst product ever” (worse than Betamax?)
CNET’s review identified this as a nice choice for those who need HD compatibility, or pass-through outputs, but don’t need the extra features of the Slingbox Pro’s multiple device control. Reviewers like on Amazon were just a mixed in the praises, some stating that it worked as expected, and others saying that the device never worked properly.
Slingbox Solo – Prices, Deals and Discounts
Available to buy at Amazon
US $56.00 16 Bids
You may also be interested in:
- Review of Hava Titanium Wi-Fi PlaceShifting Device on WebTVWire
- Other Articles on PlaceShifting & Slingbox
- Slingbox Solo Devices on Ebay
Have Something To Say?
Have Your Say:
Subscribe to Web TV Wire by Email
Keep up to date with Web TV, Video and IPTV News:
Subscribe to Web TV Wire via RSS