On Thursday I said that Media Extender’s will have a short life span and here is the reason. Not so far in the future, maybe within 3-5 years we will have one enabling device that will do absolutely everything. No longer will we have several black boxes of circuit boards all connected together by a mish mash of cables, we’ll have one device: The Ultimate DVR.
The Ultimate DVR Features:
- Record TV and schedule recordings
- Smart recording where the DVR chooses the best shows for you to watch based on what you watch, the actors you like etc.
- An all in-one recordable HD DVD and Blu-ray drive.
- Fast forward and rewind live TV
- Ability to receive to OTA broadcasts and IPTV broadcasts
- Ability to play all media from any PC in the house over a home network
- A built in browser for internet surfing
- A built podcast/vodcast aggregator so you can subscribe to online radio and TV shows
- Ability to send live TV, recorded TV, and video from anywhere on your network, over the internet, so you can watch TV anywhere (like a Slingbox).
- A built in smart TV guide that highlights shows of interest to you and also connects you to related internet video.
- An instant recommendation feature that tells you the best thing to watch right now (a recording, a live TV show, an on-demand show, or a vodcast), you can specify genre.
- A unified search which searches media on your home network, recorded shows, TV schedule, online video and vodcasts.
- A video on demand service where you can rent and buy movies online direct from your TV and save them to you DVR.
- Ability to upload your videos and recordings to a website to share with other people who use that DVR.
- Integration with popular Portable Media Players (PMPs) so you can take video on the move.
- Ability to control any PC on your home network and view that PC as if you are using it.
- An in-built games console for playing games, you can play games online and buy and download games online through your TV.
- A hefty hard-drive with the ability to use Network Attached Storage or hard drives on other PCs if you need to.
Can you think of anything else to add?
Have Something To Say?
Have Your Say:
Subscribe to Web TV Wire by Email
Keep up to date with Web TV, Video and IPTV News:
Subscribe to Web TV Wire via RSS