New AT&T chairman and CEO, Randall Stephenson, who has moved up from the company’s position as Chief Operating Officer (COO), has announced that “TV will be the next multibillion-dollar business for our company“.
Like many other traditionally telco companies AT&T is moving into the triple play field and offering TV, internet and phone services together. Here is a brief run-down on what AT&T does with a focus on broadband video:
- It is the largest US provider of both local and long distance telephone services
- It is the largest US provider of wireless services under the brand Cingular Wireless
- It is the largest US provider of DSL internet
- AT&T is working with MobiTV to bring AT&T U-Verse IPTV service to cell phone screens
- MobiTV is powering the broadband AT&T’s TV/PC service called AT&T Broadband TV.
- It has the AT&T Homezone service which combines DISH satellite TV programming with AT&T Yahoo! Internet. Internet video content includes MovieLink, and Akimbo programming.