The new Iomega Screenplay Director HD media player is an internet TV and home network set top box that offers HD online movies, YouTube & web TV, and access to media stored on devices on your home network.
The device replaces the old Screenplay TV link which came out in 2008. I got a hands-on look at the new media box while at CES 2010 and it certainly delivers on what it promises with a very reasonable price tag.
You can watch HD movies purchased or rented from Cinema Now, an online movie rental service similar to iTunes and Amazon Video-on-Demand.
Other online content includes YouTube, Flickr, Internet radio, RSS feeds, or podcasts, all accessible through the easy-to-use user interface and remote. Check out the GUI in the video below:
It also comes with a healthy 1TB internal drive and uou can also hook up additional storage via the 3 USB ports.
Home Network Media
The HD Media Player also gives you access to videos and media on your home network in a wide variety formats.
It can connect via Ethernet or Wi-Fi and has DLNA support making watching videos across your home network relatively seamless.
Unfortunately for WI-FI wireless access you’ll need to purchase the Iomega 802.11n Wireless Adapter separately or one of the following supported USB Wi-Fi devices which can be hard to get hold of:
You could try your luck with another USB Wi-Fi device but quite often they’ve been reported not to work.
Wi-Fi networks tend be a bit sluggish for copying large files and playing HD anyway so you may want to look into a home plug adapter or CoAX adapter to extend your internet connection. These are usually offer a faster and more reliable connection compared to Wi-Fi, but are more expensive.
- Audio Formats – MP3, AC3 (Dolby® Digital Encoding), WAV, OGG, WMA
- Video Formats – MPEG-1, MPEG-2 (AVI/VOB), MPEG-4 (AVI/DivX®/XViD), H.264, WMV, AVCHD
- Photo Formats – JPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG and TIFF
- File Types – .mkv, .avi, .asf, .iso, .vob, .mp4, .mov, .wmv, .flv, .ifo
- PAL/NTSC – Full 1080p high definition (24 fps)
- AV Connections – HDMI, Composite video and audio R/L; Component video: Y, Pb, Pr, optical audio
- Hard drive format: NTFS (default), FAT32
- 1 x RCA Component Video Out – Rear
- 1 x Composite Video Out – Rear
- 1 x Stereo Audio Line Out – Rear
- 1 x HDMI Digital Audio/Video Out – Rear
- 1 x RJ-45 Network – Rear
- 3 x USB – Rear
- 1 x Toslink S/PDIF Out – Rear
- IEEE 802.11b/g/n
- DLNA support
- Versatile Supports many CODECs and file types including H.264 so you can enjoy your entire media collection
- Access online content on internet sites such as YouTube, Flickr, Internet radio, RSS feeds, or podcastsLarge capacity
- Save up to 1500 hours of video, 4,000,000 photos,or 18,500 hours of music on the 1 TB drive
- DivX Home Theatre Certified Includes Iomega Protection Suite anti-virus and backup software solutions
- Full HD support
- Supports lots of file formats
- 1TB storage included
- Rent movies online and YouTube access
- Needs separate adapter for Wi-Fi support
- Would like to see more online TV and internet features
Retailing at $250 the Iomega Screenplay Director HD (model number 34650) is a healthy price when you consider the 1TB storage included (an external Iomega 1TB hard drive is typically $100 or more).
With full HD support, ability to watch videos on the home network, and online TV, movie rentals and internet functions it has a good amount to offer. Lack of built-in Wi-Fi is a real shame though.
Iomega Screenplay Director HD Marketplace – Deals & Discounts
Buy it on Amazon.
No eBay items currently available.
- The Monsoon Volcano which offers internet TV, placeshifting, home network media playing and more.
- More Internet TV Set Top Boxes
- Homeplug Ethernet Adapters on eBay
Have Something To Say?
Have Your Say:
Subscribe to Web TV Wire by Email
Keep up to date with Web TV, Video and IPTV News:
Subscribe to Web TV Wire via RSS